Foster care is a temporary living arrangement providing care and parenting for children who can no longer live in their homes because of abuse, neglect or other severe family problems. Social workers help families resolve problems so that their children can return home without further incidence of abuse or neglect.
- Children may need foster families for a few days, months or years.
- We are in special need of foster families for African American, Hispanic and children of other cultural backgrounds.
- We also need families for teenagers, sibling groups and children with special needs.
The goal of foster care is to strengthen families. During placement, social workers, foster parents and birth parents work together to facilitate the child’s returning home. When returning home is not possible, an alternative plan is made.
Foster Parent Qualifications
- Able to accept a child who needs a lot of patience, understanding and love
- Over the age of 21
- Married or single
- With or without biological children
- Employed inside or outside the home
- Living in a house or apartment in Arlington County or the surrounding Virginia area
Children in Foster Care
- Are of all ages and races
- Come from all kinds of family backgrounds
- Are experiencing the pain of separating from their families
What Support is Offered To Teens?
- Medical and dental care
- Post secondary education support
- Independent living skills
Teens In Arlington Need You
- All children deserve a home and a family.
- 60% of children in foster care in Arlington County are above the age of 12.
- 26: The average age that a young adult leaves home to live independently.
- 18 – 21: The age in which teens age out of foster care.
Arlington Needs Foster Families!
Arlington County is in special need of foster families for teenagers, children with emotional or physical disabilities and sibling groups.
We also need families for children of African American, Hispanic and other cultural backgrounds.
To learn more join us at our next Information Session:
Thursday, April 30, 2020
6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Please contact us for Information Session location.