Foster Care and Adoption
Meet Arlington's 2013 Foster Parents of the Year
Arlington Foster Care/Adoption Program
What is Foster Care?
Foster Care is a temporary living arrangement providing care and parenting for children who can no longer live in their homes because of abuse, neglect or other severe family problems. Children may need foster families for a few days, a few months or longer.
The goal of Foster Care is to strengthen families. During placement, social workers, foster parents and birth parents work together to facilitate the child’s returning home. When returning home is not possible, an alternative plan is made.
Children in Foster Care
- Are of all ages and races
- Come from all kinds of family backgrounds
- Are experiencing the pain of separating from their families
You can be a Foster Parent if you are:
- Over the age of 21
- Married or single
- With or without biological children
- Employed inside or outside the home
- Living in a house or apartment in Arlington County or the surrounding Virginia area
- Able to complete the 30 hour PRIDE training and Home Assessment
Adoption is an outcome for children unable to return to birth or extended families.
Arlington County provides a dual certification program to foster and adopt. All individuals and couples must be able to take the 30 hour PRIDE training and participate in the Home Study process to be considered for certification.
Arlington County is in special need of foster families for teenagers, children with emotional or physical disabilities and sibling groups.
We also need families for children of African American, Hispanic and other cultural backgrounds.
Join us at our next Information Session and find out:
- What it takes to be a foster parent
- The process of becoming certified
- How you can help a child in need
- How our team will support you
- About our need for bilingual families
Join us on:
Saturday, August 15, 2015 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
Thursday, September 10, 2015 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Please contact us to RSVP and to learn about Information Sessions locations.